Friday, November 23, 2007

Raise Your Hand/Voice

Wednesday and Thursday, I taught my first two groups of twenty-five medical students. These students are on par with freshmen in college in the states, but on a medical school track. The entire class of 200 is broken up into sections so no one seemed to know where to go for these first few days. Throughout the first hour of my class, students entered the room, assuming they were registered for my class. If they weren't, I had to ask them to leave, which was not easy, not only because I had to tell them in French.
The classroom itself is made up of block construction with open windows around the top of three walls. Students mill around all sides of this room and make plenty of extraneous noise. In order to be heard, I need to raise my voice. I should have used that as an example of a present tense verb, "raise my voice" which was part of my first lesson for what are mostly beginner English students. A few of them know quite a lot of English. Figuring out how difficult to make the lesson is challenging. I have 15 weeks, one day each week, to teach these kids as much English as I can. The books have not arrived yet. Perhaps I'm optimistic in thinking they will get here in time to use them? So I use a black chalk board that has a few cracks running through it. The erasure is well used, leaving a streak of white behind it. Four ceiling fans hum above us, contributing to the noise pollution, but do make a difference in ventilation. The art of teaching is a learning process!

Last night, the Public Affairs Officer (PAO) invited me and 21 others over to celebrate Thanksgiving in grand style. After watching American football (the armed forces network) on a flat screen TV, sipping one of the best margaritas I've ever had and munching potato pancakes, she presented four perfectly roasted turkeys, mashed potatoes, succotash, dressing, gravy, a fabulous pear/candied walnut salad, and even Brussel sprouts (Belgian Congo, remember?). The best part, as is back home, was the dessert selection: Pumpkin and apple pies, mincemeat tarts with plenty of whipped cream. Everything was homemade with a little help from Willy, the chef, and his crew. As wonderful as it was, I still couldn't help having a little lump in my throat thinking about all my friends and family that I'm missing. I'm terribly thankful for you all.

3 Comments:

At November 26, 2007 at 2:57 AM , Blogger MeJane said...

Dear Lee and Mari: Not sure where you posted your comment, but, yes, I am available through my regular email. Please send me your email address, as it doesn't show up through the blog site. I'm having quite an interesting and educational experience here. I am so thankful to be on the west side of the country when I read about all the fighting near and in Goma. I know things can change, but so far I have been well-treated and respected by all the Congolese I've met. The church here is very strong and I am feeling at home spiritually as well as physically.
Wish I could have tagged along on the Ireland bike excursion. I heard it was a great trip. When I am feeling down, I just have to remember the great time I had biking in Brittany and Normandy. Wow. That was a vacation! Love to you and the family, Jane

 
At November 26, 2007 at 3:08 PM , Blogger Pastor Mike Koetje said...

Dear Jane,
Mindy and I have just started reading some of your blogs. It sounds like quite an experience! We pray that God's grace may uphold you and God's love may surround you during these months away from home. We certainly miss you here at Second Church. It's so good to hear that you enjoyed time with new friends to celebrate the many things we have to be thankful for.
I sure enjoyed the few moments I had last month to talk to Dan & Virginia. Sadie is such a precious baby!!! What a blessing in Dan & Virginia's life!
I'm looking forward to the Stephen Ministry training in January. Mindy is coming along with some books, Creative Memories work, and no kids.
Keeping you in our prayers,
Pastor Mike Koetje

 
At November 27, 2007 at 4:48 AM , Blogger MeJane said...

Dear Pastor Mike and Mindy, Welcome aboard! I'm so glad you tuned me in here, but so sorry the visual helps are still not available. For some reason the internet connections are still too slow to download pictures from here to send. I'll keep working on it, because its true: a picture is worth 1000 words!
I am delighted that you're scheduled for the Stephen Ministry Leaders Training Course (LTC). It will be a source of good overall information for you as well as a shot in the arm for our church's Stephen Ministry Program. I'll be thinking of you and certainly praying for your experience there.

Best to you and Second CRC as you begin the Advent Season. I am so thankful for our church--both the denomination and our congregation. Lots of good wishes! Jane

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home